[MARMAM] Distance sampling workshops August 2009, University of St. Andrews

Eric Rexstad ericr at mcs.st-and.ac.uk
Mon Jan 19 07:23:57 PST 2009

  The Centre for Research into Ecological and Environmental Modelling
(CREEM) is hosting two linked workshops in the summer of 2009 in our
purpose-built facilities at the University of St Andrews, Scotland. The
aim of these workshops is to train participants in the latest methods
for design and analysis of distance sampling surveys, including line and
point transects. The workshops are taught by leading researchers in the
field, using industry-standard software.

The first workshop (18-21 August) will run at an introductory level, and
will focus on "conventional" distance sampling methods, as described in
the standard reference book / Introduction to Distance Sampling./ The
workshop will be a blend of theory and practice and participants will
learn how to use the program /Distance./ Participants will gain a solid
grounding in both survey design and methods of analysis for distance
sampling surveys.

The advanced distance sampling workshop (24-28 August) will include
advanced treatment of: incorporating covariates in detection function
modelling, analyses in which detectability on the transect line is not
assumed to be perfect (the so-called g(0) problem), automated survey
design, advanced stratified survey analysis, advanced trend analysis,
and adaptive survey designs.

New for 2009, we are adding two days to the workshop to discuss density
surface modelling; a model-based inference procedure that provides
estimates of abundance using predictor variables that may influence
where animals a located within the study region. Density surface
modelling will be performed using a new version of Distance (Distance
6). The aim of this workshop is to bring participants up to date with
the latest developments in distance sampling methods and software. It is
also an opportunity for those actively engaged in the design, analysis
and execution of distance sampling surveys to discuss common issues and
problems, and set future research directions. The workshop will be a
combination of lectures and computer sessions, with considerable time
for discussion.

For both workshops, participants are encouraged to bring their own data
sets, and can expect to do some preliminary analyses with their data.
Computer sessions take place in our modern computer classroom (attached
to the seminar room); participants can use our computers or bring their
own laptop computers.

Additional details regarding the workshop can be found at our website
http://www.ruwpa.st-and.ac.uk/distance.workshops/workshop_overview2009.html

--
Eric Rexstad
Research Unit for Wildlife Population Assessment