[MARMAM] Assistant Director Position - Cornell BRP
ann.warde at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 17:25:09 PST 2009
This position is available in the Bioacoustics Research Program - it has
been posted on the Jobs at Cornell on-line posting and application system at
https://cornellu.taleo.net/careersection/10167/jobdetail.ftl if you know of
anyone that might be interested in this position, please have them apply.
Please see special application instructions at bottom. This position is
posted for Cornell Internal applicants only at this time; posted through
December 22, 2008.
Let me know if you have any questions.
*Assistant Director for Bioacoustics Research Program - 10183
Sr. Research Associate
Lab of Ornithology, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
The Bioacoustics Research Program (BRP) integrates the fields of behavioral
biology, acoustic ecology, software engineering, and electrical engineering
to answer a broad array of questions regarding animal acoustic
communication. We design and implement hardware-software tools as a means of
monitoring individuals and populations, primarily in marine environments. In
addition to conducting basic research, BRP provides bioacoustic monitoring
tools, services, and expertise to partners and customers in academia,
government, and industry.
The Lab of Ornithology is currently accepting applications for an Assistant
Director for the BRP. Duties include:
• Participate in the administration, planning, design and operation of the
research component for the BRP. This includes writing reports, and providing
supervision and daily management of the program's research personnel
(scientists, analysts, and research engineers) in a vigorous and active
research program involving multi-disciplinary research at national and
international levels. (30%)
• In conjunction with the Program Director, provide leadership in the
scientific research process. Develop hypotheses, objectives, and research
protocols. Develop, outline and validate data collection and analysis
procedures and techniques. Provide scientific oversight to the analysis
team, and lead in the interpretation of results, synthesis of conclusions,
and publication of scientific reports and in scientific peer reviewed
journal articles. Interact with research engineers to understand their
projects and discuss their applicability to current and future BRP research
• Serve as the primary scientific resource for BRP staff when the Program
Director is not available. This would include identifying and resolving any
emergent questions in bioacoustics and in recommending research strategies
• Participate in the writing and preparation of project proposals, grants,
foundation materials, and other products for raising research funds. (15%)
• Represent BRP by attending and presenting at conferences, seminars,
workshops, and scientific and industry meetings. (10%)
Position is full time, 3-year appointment pending renewable funding.
• PhD in biology, physical acoustics, engineering, or related field, with
combined experiences preferred.
• Experience in marine science research, with an emphasis on marine
• Prior experience applying signal processing and concepts to answer
• Must have a record of repeated success in securing research funds and
conducting research which supports the needs and mission of the program.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Must have a record of successfully meeting schedules and milestones of
research projects that involve multiple stages and several scientific
• Must have a strong record of enhancing the performance of a research team
through productive collaboration and effective staff management.
• Research experience with marine vertebrates preferred.
• 5-7 years' postdoctoral experience preferred.
• Prior supervisory or management experience preferred.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Send a letter of application, complete resume, list
of references and academic transcripts to: Susan Taggart, Cornell Lab of
Ornithology, 159 Sapsucker Woods Road, 283A Johnson Center for Birds &
Biodiversity, Ithaca, NY 14850. Inquiries about position specifics can be
directed to Christopher Clark, Cornell Lab of Ornithology, Ithaca, NY
14850. Phone: 607-254-2405; Email cwc2 at cornell.edu. Review of applicants
will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Bioacoustics Research Program
Cornell Lab of Ornithology
159 Sapsucker Woods Road
Ithaca, NY 14850
Email: dgd25 at cornell.edu
Phone: (607) 254-2135
*The Mission of the Cornell Lab of Ornithology:
*"To interpret and conserve the Earth's biological diversity through
research, education, and citizen science focused on birds."
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the MARMAM