[MARMAM] Volunteers needed for fieldwork

Anna Kopps useless.loop.dolphins at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 02:48:39 PST 2009

Hi all,

I am looking for two volunteers to help me with field work for my PhD
project. The assistants are needed 1 May to 31 July.

We investigate genetic, social, and ecological factors influencing
behavioural variation in bottlenose dolphins. The focus lies on the
“sponging behaviour” – a foraging technique where dolphins use marine
sponges as tools. To do so we conduct boat surveys where we record
behaviour, take photos for photo ID, and collect biopsy samples for
genetic analysis.

The field site is located in Useless Loop, Shark Bay, Western Australia.
Useless Loop is a remotely located closed mining community with
restricted access. Due to its remoteness it will not be possible to
leave the site during the field season.

If you are interested we expect you to have good English communication
skills, to be willing to get up early, to work long hours indoors (data
processing) and outdoors (boat surveys), and to be able to get on well
with others in a small team.

A background in biology, a strong interest of cetaceans, and prior
experience in boat based surveys and Photo ID are essential.

We offer training in survey work and Photo ID and provide food and
accommodation. Unfortunately, we are not able to pay for travel (to
Denham, Shark Bay) and other expenses.

To apply, please send your CV, a covering letter, contact details of two
references to useless.loop.dolphins at gmail.com .

*Deadline: 15 February 2009.*

Cheers,
Anna