[MARMAM] physiological adaptations to deep diving

MARMAM Editors marmamed at uvic.ca
Fri Feb 13 15:42:29 PST 2009

>From Dan Mingea (thechair_man at hotmail.com)

Dear Marman,

I am a physician, nearing retirement age. I have sought answers to whale
internal anatomy and whale physiology for several years, consulting many
old books and the 'net.

I have often found descriptions of whale external anatomy (I know they
have flukes), but I have always run into deadends trying to ascertain
specific adaptive mechanisms for prolonged diving to depths. I am
well-aware of the phenomenon of "diving reflex" in humans.

I am particularly interested in physiological adaptations (hemoglobin,
myoglobin, acid-base balance, hemoglobin dissociation curves, etc.) in the
whale that make the whale different from me: why can I not dive deep for a
long time? What is different? I don't want to dive deep, but I do want to
know why the whale can.

I hope you can steer me in the right direction.

G. Dan Mingea, MD, FAAP

-To submit a message to MARMAM, send it to: marmam at lists.uvic.ca
-Please include your name and e-mail address in the body of the
text of all submissions.
-To subscribe to MARMAM, go to lists.uvic.ca/mailman/listinfo/marmam
-To contact the MARMAM editors, write to: marmamed at uvic.ca