[MARMAM] Summer field positions in Alaska

Brian B drvegclimb at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 10 09:44:31 PST 2009

UBC FIELD RESEARCH ASSISTANTS for
ALASKA (Three)

The Marine Mammal
Research Unit at the University of British Columbia will be hiring three paid field
research assistants to tag northern fur seals in Alaska during the summer of
2009.

Duties will include capturing,
restraining and tagging female northern fur seals, data entry and
analysis.  Ability to work as part of a
team is essential.  Previous experience working with pinnipeds is a plus, proven
capability in the field mandatory.
Confidence handling wild animals is necessary along with the ability to
make quick decisions in stressful situations while remaining calm. Room and
Board included.

St
Paul Island:
 July 1 to September 30,
2009.  Two Assistants to work with a
Graduate Student.   These positions come
with the amenities of small town life including living in close quarters with
multiple housemates.   Possibility of
assisting associated research teams in avian research.

Bogoslof
Island:  June
16 – September 30, 2009.  One Assistant
to work with the P.I. in a remote area, living in a tent with limited
communication, power and modern conveniences.

Other duties while on
Bogoslof Island include sharing in the responsibilities of daily maintenance
and upkeep of camp, cooking, cleaning etc.
We will also be setting up and breaking down camp at the beginning and
end of the season.  Access to the island
involves a day trip in a large vessel and a beach landing in a skiff with the
potential for rough seas and difficult weather conditions.  Possibility of assisting
associated research teams in avian research.

Resumes to be emailed to     mmru at zoology.ubc.ca
by February 24, 2009
Brian Battaile
Post Doctoral Fellow

North Pacific Universities Marine Mammal Research Consortium

North Pacific Marine Science Foundation

Room 247, AERL, 2202 Main Mall

Vancouver,
B.C.  Canada