[MARMAM] information on mother seals behaviour

Gemma Araujo bodhmall at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 04:31:31 PST 2009

Hello,

I am a student from Barcelona and I am back now from an internship in a
rehabilitation and research centre in the Netherlands. I have been working
on a behavioural research project studying seal with a strange behaviour
towards humans. We considered the possiblity that the mother abandoned him
before she should maybe due to low survival chances as he appears to have
some kind of disability. It's all theories about it because we don't have
much information on mothers abandoning their pups for such reasons.

I have been looking for related articles but the copies were not available
from my university (University of Barcelona). Some of the articles are:

Mother-pup bonding in the harbour seal (Phoca vitulina) - do harbour seal
mothers sometimes leave their pups alone?], Gaus, 2007

SEX-DIFFERENCES IN THE NURSING RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN MOTHERS AND PUPS IN THE
ATLANTIC HARBOR SEAL, PHOCA-VITULINA-CONCOLOR, Rosen Das et al., 1992

FURTHER-STUDIES OF THE ROLE OF HARBOR SEAL (PHOCA-VITULINA) PUP
VOCALIZATIONS IN PREVENTING SEPARATION OF MOTHER PUP PAIRS, Perry Ea, 1988

INFLUENCE OF STORMS AND MATERNAL SIZE ON MOTHER-PUP SEPARATIONS AND
FOSTERING IN THE HARBOR SEAL, PHOCA-VITULINA, Boness, DJ et al, 1992.

I would appreaciate if any of you send me some articles or information
concerning common seal mother behaviour specially related to abandoning
their pups.

Thank you very much!