[MARMAM] Opportunity: six months internship in Dolphin Photo-ID in Peru: June to November 2009
mundoazulorg at gmail.com
Sun Feb 1 07:34:02 PST 2009
*Opportunity: six months internship in Dolphin Photo-ID in Peru: June to
Mundo Azul is a Peruvian NGO for the conservation of marine and coastal
biodiversity in Peru and sustainable development. We are implementing since
2005 a bottlenose Photo-ID program along the central Peruvian coast between
Lima and Paracas (240) km. From 2007 to 2008 we have identified more than
1000 animals in this area. Mundo Azul is self-financing its research program
with the support of volunteers, whale-watching, consultancies and donations
from Peruvian companies. Currently we are operating three boats for coastal
Dolphin research and recently we put a fourth boat in service for off-shore
whale and Dolphin research to begin shortly.
We are offering the possibility for an internship as research assistant from
June 2009 to end of November 2009.
Responsibilities of the intern:
- Driving an inflatable boat (outboard motor 40 hp) and/or a fiberglass
yachts (outboard motor 90 hp) under supervision during search for dolphins.
- Participation in daily maintenance of motors and ships
- Support the transport of research teams, volunteers and equipment
- Taking Pictures of dolphins
- Picture evaluation and statistical evaluation of field data
- Training of volunteers
- Support of volunteer logistics
- Participation in environmental education activities about marine life.
- Field guiding of whale watching tourists
- Support and participate in training activities for local stakeholders.
· Student or bachelor in biological science or related fields
· Fluent English
· Basic Spanish
· Adequate physical strength for marine field work, boat driving and
hands on boat maintenance
· Previous experience in marine field research is a plus
· Previous experience in dolphin research is a plus
The intern will receive:
- Basic training in motor-mechanics
- Training in boat driving
- Training in marine conditions in the research area
- Species identification training (mammals and birds)
- Training in photo-ID methods and laboratory work
- During field investigation periods we do cover lodging and food, as
well as terrestrial ad marine transport to the research areas
- During laboratory work in Lima we cover lodging.
Please send applications with detailed CV and picture. Please elaborate on
previous field research experiences. Please write to
mundoazul at terra.com.peor to
mundoazulorg at gmail.com .
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the MARMAM