[MARMAM] Announcing the 2010 Annual Meeting of the UK Regional Student Chapter of the Society for Marine Mammalogy: Durham, 4-6th February 2009

UK Regional Student Chapter ukrsc at st-andrews.ac.uk
Mon Dec 21 03:23:33 PST 2009

We would like to announce that the annual meeting of the UK Regional Student
Chapter of the Society for Marine Mammalogy will be held at Durham University
between the 4th and 6th of February 2010.  (An Icebreaker will be held on the
evening of Thursday 4th – presentations will not start until Friday 5th).

A brief introduction to Durham - it is a small, historic town located in the
north east of England, just south of Newcastle. Bill Bryson famously mentioned
Durham in his book ‘Notes from a small Island’; “I got off at Durham
and fell
in love with it in a serious way. Why, it’s wonderful – a perfect little
city
if you have never been to Durham, go there. Take my car”.

We encourage all registered UK students that are interested in, or are actively
involved in, marine mammal research to attend. The atmosphere of the conference
is relatively informal, giving students a platform to discuss their research
with other students and prominent researchers.  All students are invited to
submit an abstract for a 15 minute talk or a poster (we’ll be asking everyone
to talk for a couple of minutes about their work/interests anyway, so why not
give a slightly longer talk instead?!). The talks traditionally vary in
content: from talks by new students discussing their future plans or the basis
of their project, to students whose Ph.D.’s are near completion.  We will also
have guest speakers and a genetics workshop, details of which shall follow
closer to the time.

There is no registration fee, and we may have funds to help with travel and
accommodation.  You don’t need to be an existing member of the Chapter – you
can register for the Chapter at the same time as registering for the
conference.

Registration forms and abstracts for talks and posters will be accepted until
the 5th of January 2010 (please contact ukrsc at st-andrews.ac.uk and we’ll email
you the registration form). The abstract should be no more than 300 words and
can be sent as part of an email or as a word document.  All abstracts,
completed registration forms and any other questions should be sent to:
ukrsc at st-andrews.ac.uk

Hope to see you all in Durham in February,

With best wishes,

The committee of the UK Regional Student Chapter for the Society for Marine
Mammalogy

--
UKRSC Chapter Contact
c/o Sea Mammal Research Unit