[MARMAM] June 2010 Environmental Studies and Sciences conference, Portland, Oregon

Wallace, Richard rwallace at ursinus.edu
Mon Dec 14 08:10:43 PST 2009

Dear Marmam folks,

I'm delighted to share with you the first public announcement of the
2010 annual meeting of the Association for Environmental Studies and
Sciences (AESS). The meeting will take place in Portland, Oregon in
mid-June, and details are given in the message below from the conference
chairs. AESS is a new professional organization with broad interests in
interdisciplinary environmental and natural resources problem solving.
There is a good deal of possible crossover between AESS interests and
those of the Marmam community, and so I wanted to share with you this
invitation.

The message below invites you to participate in setting the agenda for
the 2010 AESS meeting. More than 300 people attended the organization's
first annual meeting in Madison, Wisconsin in 2009, which was a great
combination of discussions, themed symposia, plenary sessions, field
trips, and social events. The Portland meeting promises an even more
robust agenda and we hope you will consider becoming involved and
attending. It would be wonderful to foster collaboration between the
marine mammal conservation community and the large and diverse community
of professionals in environmental studies and sciences (speaking as
someone who works in both worlds!).

Please let me know if you have any questions, and apologies for
cross-postings.

All my best to you for a happy and healthy holiday season!

Cheers,

Rich Wallace

On behalf of the AESS Outreach & Membership Committee

--

Richard L. Wallace, Ph.D.

Associate Professor

Environmental Studies Program

Ursinus College

P.O. Box 1000

Collegeville, PA 19426

(610) 409-3730

(610) 409-3660 fax

rwallace at ursinus.edu

Dear Colleagues,

The Association of Environmental Studies and Sciences (AESS) is an
independent faculty-and-student-based professional association in higher
education, designed to serve the needs of environmental scholars and
scientists who value interdisciplinary approaches to research, teaching,
and problem-solving.  Founded in 2008, the Association seeks to provide
its members with the latest environmental information and tools to
create better courses, strengthen research, develop more satisfying
careers, harness the power of a collective voice for the profession, and
enjoy each other's company at national and regional meetings.

A major aim of AESS is to encourage interdisciplinary understanding of
environmental science, policy, management, ethics, history, and all of
the other vital contributions of traditional disciplines.  From its
beginning, the Association has been envisioned as a community of
environmental scholars and scientists, not a confederation of
disciplines. Fundamental to its members' embrace of higher education is
the notion that broad advances in environmental knowledge require
disciplinary, interdisciplinary, and transdisciplinary approaches to
research and learning.

On behalf of the AESS Program Committee and Site Arrangement Committee,
we are pleased to announce the launch of the AESS 2010 Conference
website, which is being hosted temporarily by Lewis and Clark College.
The conference will be held at Lewis and Clark College, Portland OR,
June 17-20.

The theme for our 2010 AESS Conference is Many Shades of Green. The
theme reflects the growing diversity of the environmental movement and
the spread of "green" thinking into new and more varied venues. A
bewildering profusion of green ideas are working their way through
global politics and discourse as new groups enter into -- and challenge
-- the traditional environmental movement. The term "green" can itself
mean many things: corporations may label themselves green by adopting
energy conservation, "carbon-friendly" products, and recycling/reuse
strategies, while individuals and organizations may embrace widely
differing green principles, ranging from eco-consumerism to
eco-spirituality to eco-anarchism. Debates over technology, population,
politics, equity, and regulation increasingly divide not just pro- and
anti-greens, but greens themselves. We welcome proposals that engage
with this proliferation of difference, contention, and innovation in
green rhetoric and practice.

The AESS Program Committee is trying something new this year. We would
like to provide an opportunity for the ESS community to help shape the
organization of the 2010 AESS Conference at Lewis and Clark. To
accomplish this bottom-up approach, we are breaking up the call for
sessions and presentations into a two-step process:

Step 1: Call for session proposals (deadline Feb 1, 2010) Step 2: Call
for presentation abstracts (deadline Mar 30, 2010)

Please visit the AESS 2010 Conference website
<http://www.lclark.edu/college/programs/environmental_studies/aess2010/i
ndex.php>  for further information.

We strongly encourage members of AESS, prior to the February 1 session
proposal deadline, to participate in the discussion forum on session
ideas (explained in detail on the conference website) to explore
possibilities for sessions, including paper presentations, workshops,
panel discussions, roundtable/facilitated discussions, and field trips.

If you are not already a member of AESS, please consider joining.  It's
inexpensive:  Professional $30, current student $15, current student
with AESS mentor $10.  For more information about membership, please
visit the AESS website <http://www.aess.info/> .

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions. We look
forward to seeing you all in Portland next June!

All the best,

Phil Camill

Chair, AESS Program Committee

Rusack Associate Professor of Biology and Environmental Studies

Program Director, Environmental Studies

Bowdoin College, Brunswick ME

pcamill at bowdoin.edu

Jim Proctor

Chair, AESS Site Arrangements Committee

Professor and Director, Environmental Studies Program

Lewis & Clark College, Portland OR

jproctor at lclark.edu