[MARMAM] Workshop announcement and call for posters

Mark Baumgartner mbaumgartner at whoi.edu
Mon Aug 24 09:57:34 PDT 2009

Workshop Announcement:  "Ecological Modeling For Marine Mammalogists"
October 11, 2009
Québec City, Canada
Québec City Convention Center, Room 2000A
Registration Fee: $30 US (register here)

"Ecological Modeling for Marine Mammalogists" is a one-day workshop
that will be held prior to the 18th Biennial Conference on the Biology
of Marine Mammals in Québec City, Canada.  The workshop follows on the
very successful 2005 workshop "Application of GIS and Spatial-Temporal
Modeling for Marine Mammal Science and Management," and will represent
the fifth Biennial workshop devoted to modeling.  There is tremendous
interest in applying statistical modeling techniques to the
quantitative assessment of marine mammal distribution and habitat use,
and our workshop seeks to explore both traditional and the latest
methodologies.  Our goal is to bring together practitioners that can
share their experience with various approaches to ecological modeling
by addressing topics ranging from collecting data, selecting the
appropriate model, evaluating the model's results, and applying those
results in a management scenario.  The workshop format will consist of
formal presentations followed by extended discussions during which
particular methodologies can be fully explored by all participants.
In addition to an overview of modeling techniques, we will have
sessions focused on the analysis of movement data (primarily from
satellite tracking data) and on the analysis of presence-only
occurrence data (primarily from passive acoustic monitoring
applications, but also from non-standardized sighting data such as
whale watching and historic whaling records).  In 2005, we introduced
the Project Forum wherein students and less experienced researchers
presented their projects and discussed the statistical challenges they
are facing with an expert panel.  We will bring this useful forum back
in 2009 as a poster session to encourage increased interaction among
the workshop participants.

CALL FOR PROJECT FORUM POSTERS
We are accepting abstracts (max 300 words) for posters outlining
research that addresses applications of statistical tools and modeling
approaches for marine mammals.  We are particularly interested in
poster presentations by students seeking input and discussion on
statistical methodology.  These posters will be used in a session, as
described above, where other researchers, including the workshop
organizers, can supply feedback or advice.  We also welcome posters
that discuss innovative tool and/or model development.  Please send
abstracts by Sept. 14 to Ellen Hines at ehines at sfsu.edu

Workshop organizing committee:
Mark Baumgartner
Ed Gregr