[MARMAM] Mass mortality event in the western Black Sea coast of Turkey

Arda M. Tonay atonay at istanbul.edu.tr
Tue Aug 18 08:45:52 PDT 2009

Dear Colleagues,

Apologies to those of you who will receive duplicate emails due to
cross-posting.

Between mid July and early August, we had a series of cetacean strandings on
the 200 km-long Turkish western Black Sea coast. During this mass mortality
event, at least 114 cetaceans (harbour porpoises, bottlenose dolphins and
common dolphins) died and 8 common dolphins stranded alive separately.
Although many individuals were at the advanced stage of decomposition due to
heat and we could examine only a couple of fresh specimens, we suspect the
primary cause of deaths is virus infection. Laboratory work is in progress.

If you have heard or seen similar event in the Black Sea, please let me
know. It will be helpful to exchange information.

Sincerely.

Arda M. TONAY

Istanbul University

Faculty of Fisheries

Marine Biology Dep.

Ordu Cad. No:200

Laleli, 34480

İstanbul, Turkey

Tel: 90 212 455 5700

Fax: 90 212 514 0379

atonay at istanbul.edu.tr

Turkish Marine Research Foundation (TUDAV)

www.tudav.org

arda.tonay at tudav.org

.