[MARMAM] Announcement for Workshop before 18th Biennial Conference: Research, Management Conservation, and Policy in Monk Seal Recovery: A Global Perspective

Monk Seal monachusworkshop at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 16:43:36 PDT 2009

Aloha Marmam Readers-

We would like to announce the following workshop taking place before the
18th Biennial Conference on the Biology of Marine Mammals.

Title: Research, Management Conservation, and Policy in Monk Seal
Recovery: A Global Perspective

The 18th Biennial Conference will provide a unique opportunity for members
from the various Hawaiian and Mediterranean monk seal programs to come
together with some of the greatest minds in the marine mammal field to
discuss and share their knowledge, forge new ideas, and develop critical
plans and partnerships.

The meeting will allow conference participants to learn about the different
ecological, sociological and political aspects of monk seal recovery.  Monk
seal experts will give presentations on a number of topics including
conservation genetics, disease research and prevention, impacts of climate
change, and enhancement activities. The panel will participate in a brief
question and answer sessions that will be followed by an open discussion.
Much of the discussion will focus on current research and management gaps to
encourage collaborations between workshop participants. Through a series of
discussions with broad participation we will develop plans for future
research and management actions. Afterward, a workshop report will be
prepared and made available on the web to be used as a tool for potential
collaborators to develop projects with the various monk seal programs. We
invite anyone that might be interested in endangered species research and
management, collaborating on future projects, or curious about the plight of
these two species to attend.  We are currently finalizing the agenda and
will forward it in our second announcement.