[MARMAM] SMM workshop - Lost in Translation: The Science-Policy Intersect

Naomi Rose NRose at hsus.org
Thu Aug 13 13:44:12 PDT 2009

This is the first announcement for the full day workshop Lost in
Translation: The Science-Policy Intersect on Sunday, October 11, 2009 to
be held in association with the SMM's 18th  Biennial Conference on the
Biology of Marine Mammals in Quebec City, Canada.

Lost in Translation: The Science-Policy Intersect

It is now rare to find any scientific discovery, theory or even a single
new data point (especially in data-poor fields such as marine mammal
science) that is not being used or mis-used in one or more policy
forums. Should scientists change the way they work and report their
results, or even correct mis-representations of their work by others? If
so, how should this be done? And if scientists get involved in policy,
how deeply should they delve and how can they do so without losing their
objectivity and while preventing bias from affecting their work?

To address these questions, we intend to invite scientists working on
the science-policy boundary to discuss their experiences at this
intersect in short (20- minute) presentations with the hope of providing
cautionary tales and guidance to a wider scientific audience. These
presentations will also consider how science should be used in policy,
as well as how it is actually used in policy. We will also have a legal
expert explain some of the terminology used in laws and regulations to
illustrate the standards that managers must meet.

The workshop will then break into open discussion on the following
topics:

1) If, when, why and how scientists should consider the policy
implications of their work; and

2) How scientists, especially those funded specifically to address a
management concern, can phrase conclusions, statements and
recommendations to optimize their use and minimize potential for misuse.

Speakers are currently being scheduled - we will provide the program in
a forthcoming announcement.

To register for this workshop, please go to the SMM web site at:

http://www.marinemammalogy.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=categor
y&id=918&Itemid=215
<http://www.marinemammalogy.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=catego
ry&id=918&Itemid=215>

The workshop will take place on Sunday, October 11, 2009 from 8:30am to
5:30pm in Room 207.

Space is limited - there will be a registration fee of $35.00US, which
will include breakfast (starting at 8am) and coffee breaks - method of
payment will be announced later. Given the large number of great
workshops being offered at this biennial, if you can attend for only a
half-day, we will charge a half-day fee of $10.00US.

We look forward to seeing you there.

Naomi A. Rose, Ph.D.
Senior Scientist, HSI-Wildlife
nrose at hsi.org <mailto:nrose at hsi.org>
t +1 301.258.3048     f +1 301.258.3082

Humane Society International
700 Professional Drive    Gaithersburg, MD 20879    USA
hsi.org <http://www.hsi.org/>

Join Our Email List <http://www.hsi.org/join>     Facebook
<http://www.facebook.com/hsiglobal>     Twitter
<http://twitter.com/hsiglobal>