[MARMAM] PBDES IN MARINE ECOSYSTEMS OF THE AMERICAN CONTINENTS

Susan Shaw sshaw at meriresearch.org
Wed Aug 12 14:17:34 PDT 2009

Dear Colleagues,

We would like to draw your attention to a review article recently published
in Reviews on Environmental Health 24 (2009) 157-229.

"Polybrominated Diphenyl Ethers in Marine Ecosystems of the American
Continents: Foresight from Current Knowledge"

Susan D. Shaw and Kurunthachalam Kannan

ABSTRACT

Polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs) are a class of synthetic halogenated
organic compounds used in commercial and household products, such as
textiles, furniture, and electronics, to increase their flame ignition
resistance and to meet fire safety standards. The demonstrated persistence,
bioaccumulation, and toxic potential of these compounds in animals and in
humans are of increasing concern. The oceans are considered global sinks for
PBDEs, as higher levels are found in marine organisms than in terrestrial
biota. For the past three decades, North America has dominated the world
market demand for PBDEs, consuming 95% of the penta-BDE formulation.
Accordingly, the PBDE concentrations in marine biota and people from North
America are the highest in the world and are increasing. Despite recent
restrictions on penta- and octa-BDE commercial formulations, penta-BDE
containing products will remain a reservoir for PBDE release for years to
come, and the deca-BDE formulation is still in high-volume use. In this
paper, we review all available data on the occurrence and trends of PBDEs in
the marine ecosystems (air, water, sediments, invertebrates, fish, seabirds,
and marine mammals) of North and South America. We outline here our concerns
about the potential future impacts of large existing stores of banned PBDEs
in consumer products, and the vast and growing reservoirs of deca-BDE as
well as new and naturally occurring brominated compounds on marine
ecosystems.

Best regards,

Susan Shaw

Susan D. Shaw, DrPH

Director, Marine Environmental Research Institute (MERI)

Center for Marine Studies

PO Box 1653, 55 Main Street

Blue Hill, ME 04614

Tel: (207) 374-2135