[MARMAM] Thermoneutrality in dolphins

Greig Funnell gfunnell at doc.govt.nz
Wed Aug 5 19:50:01 PDT 2009

Dear MARMAMers,

We currently have what appears to be a relatively isolated population of
bottlenose dolphins that has been declining in abundance over the last
decade or so. I work for the Department of Conservation in New Zealand
and we are trying to identify what the potential causes or contributors
to this decline are. One of the unique features of their habitat is the
discharge of freshwater into the fiord system that they occupy, and it
has been proposed that this may alter the water temperature (at least at
certain times of the year) and be causing thermal stress to the
dolphins.

Therefore, I am interested in gathering information on temperature
tolerances and thermoneutrality in dolphins, particularly in bottlenose.
The only study that I have been able to find on dolphins is the work of
Williams in the early 90's, so any further information would be greatly
appreciated. Any information will be used to aid our management
decisions and/or guide what additional research needs to be carried out
rather than for a specific publication.

My contact details are gfunnell at doc.govt.nz

Kind Regards,

Greig.

This e-mail (and attachments) is confidential
and may be legally privileged.