[MARMAM] Request for sperm whale faecal information

Trish Lavery trish.lavery at flinders.edu.au
Sun Aug 2 19:55:21 PDT 2009

Dear Colleagues,

I would be grateful to hear from anyone who has information regarding the
persistence of sperm whale faeces on the ocean surface.  Specifically, I am
looking for information regarding how quickly sperm whale faeces sink from
the surface.  I aim to use this information to calculate the turbulent
dispersal of faecal material in the mixed layer.

This information will be used for my PhD research examining nutrient
transport by sperm whales.    Any information would be much appreciated and
fully acknowledged.

Kindest thanks,

Trish Lavery

BBSc, BSci(MarBiol)(Hons), PhD Candidate

School of Biological Sciences

Flinders University

GPO Box 2100

Adelaide, SA, 5001