[MARMAM] Baiji River Dolphin Questionnaire

leigh at vaquita.org leigh at vaquita.org
Mon Apr 13 14:04:10 PDT 2009

Subject: Why Did The Yangtze River Dolphin Become Functionally Extinct?
A Socio-Economic Analysis of Historical Baiji Conservation Efforts:

Dear Colleagues,

China's Yangtze River dolphin or baiji (Lipotes vexillifer) made world
headline news in December 2006 after an extensive six-week survey of
its historical range failed to find a single surviving individual.
Since this time no authentic sightings have been reported, and the
species is considered to be probably extinct. This represents the
disappearance of an entire mammal family, and the first cetacean
species to have been wiped out by human activity. The probable
extinction of the baiji also represents the first disappearance of a
large-bodied vertebrate species since the emergence of an
international network of conservation organizations that have tended
to prioritize conservation efforts on such charismatic animals.

Many other cetaceans (such as the vaquita and the Indian river
dolphins), and a growing number of other species worldwide, are also
in imminent danger of extinction. It is therefore imperative to
identify the key lessons that can be learnt from the history of
attempts to conserve the baiji, and the ultimate failure of these
attempts to prevent the extinction of this species, before this
knowledge is lost with time. How was it possible for a species of
river dolphin to become extinct, when it should have been the focus of
intensive conservation attention and activity? Without a fuller
understanding of the failure of baiji conservation efforts - in terms
of management, bureaucracy and implementation of recovery plans - the
same failures are fated to play themselves out with other Critically
Endangered species.

With support from the US Marine Mammal Commission, Hong Kong Ocean
Park Foundation, the Zoological Society of London and the People?s
Trust for Endangered Species, we are conducting an in-depth
investigation into the socio-economic factors that influenced
international baiji conservation efforts over recent decades. In order
to collect meaningful comparative data on this crucial subject, we
have developed a standard baiji conservation questionnaire. We are
currently distributing this questionnaire to organisations and
participants who have been involved with past baiji conservation
efforts, in order to quantify the different types of baiji
conservation efforts that were conducted or supported; the economic
resources made available for these efforts; the factors that
influenced support for different strategies; and perceptions regarding
roles and responsibilities concerning strategy implementation.

It is our intention to make this study as broad and inclusive as
possible. A Chinese-language version of this questionnaire is being
sent to all key government agencies, officials and scientific
institutions within China who have been involved in baiji conservation
efforts during the last four decades. An English-language version is
being sent to all individuals and organizations outside China who
played a prominent role in historical baiji conservation efforts. We
are also making the questionnaire available on-line, so that it can be
completed by any other individuals or conservation organisations that
were also involved in baiji conservation. If the latter applies to you
or your organization, we would be extremely grateful if you could find
the time to complete the questionnaire and return it to us by email at
the following address:

leigh at vaquita.org

Copies of the 'Individual' and 'Organization' questionnaire can be
downloaded from the following website:

www.vaquita.org

All questionnaires are anonymous, although we request that the
informant?s name or organisation should be included for the purpose of
classifying different responses prior to analysis of results. The
results of this study will be prepared for publication in an
international peer-reviewed conservation science journal.

Your contribution will be invaluable for us to learn what went wrong
for the baiji, and how we can work to prevent similar failures from
taking place in the future. If you have any questions about the
questionnaire please do not hesitate to contact us. We thank you in
advance for giving your valuable time to this initiative.

Kind regards,

Leigh Barrett
leigh at vaquita.org