[MARMAM] fin whale

dan morick dannymorick at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 6 22:30:39 PDT 2009

Dear all
I am a volunteering veterinarian at IMMRAC (Israel Marine Mammal Research & Assistance Center).
Over the last few days we received reports on a 10 m long fin whale, swimming very close to the shore, (100-500 meters), outside the breakwaters of two Marinas. It then entered a port and after awhile swam out.
We had a similar case a year ago and it ended badly, when a whale entered an anchorage, rammed itself against the dock and later died.
Judging by its size, we believe it’s a young whale that possibly lost its mother. Photographs show it to be cachectic.
We would appreciate any suggestions on the best way to manage such an event and also any suggestions on euthanasia methods for such a big animal, in case it will strand in poor condition on our beaches.
Thanks a lot
Danny Morick
dannymorick at hotmail.com