[MARMAM] VACANCY ANNOUCEMENT FOR A MARINE MAMMAL SCIENTIST - SMRU LTD

recruitment recruitment at smru.co.uk
Tue Sep 16 06:30:01 PDT 2008

SMRU Ltd is a wholly owned subsidiary of the University of St Andrews
that provides cutting edge scientific advice to industry and government.
SMRU Ltd works closely with the University of St Andrews, in particular
the Sea Mammal Research Unit (SMRU) and the Centre for Research into
Ecological and Environmental Modelling (CREEM), undertaking a wide
variety of research contracts that build on the expertise within the
respective organisations.

Areas of work we are currently involved in include advising on potential
impacts of marine renewable energy projects; providing guidance on
marine mammal populations; assessing how wider commercial activities
within the marine environment may affect marine organisms and developing
tools through which users can access high quality marine environmental
data.

SMRU Ltd is at an exciting stage in our development and we are currently
looking for motivated applicants to apply for this new post to join and
augment our team of scientists.  The successful candidate will take up a
key position in a dynamic and expanding team.

MAIN DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES:

This role will include the reviewing of management reports, and the
provision of scientific advice based on the available literature
primarily related to the development of offshore energy sites.  Much of
this work is related to marine mammal visual and acoustic monitoring
survey techniques and the successful candidate would be expected to be
familiar with the appropriate field techniques both in theory and in
practice.

QUALIFICATIONS/EXPERIENCE/SKILLS

Educated to either Masters level in the relevant field with some
marketplace experience, or educated to PhD level in the relevant field

Familiarity with and ability to interpret and evaluate scientific
literature on approaches to visual and/or acoustic surveys of marine
mammals

Ability to design, and experience of executing field surveys Confident
in their ability to meet project requirements Ability to work both
independently and as part of a team Experience of scientific report
writing and working to deadlines

ADDITIONAL SKILLS

Has experience of working on EIAs and knowledge of the environmental
legislation in the UK Competent in statistical data analysis

SALARY

SMRU Ltd offers a competitive salary; negotiable dependent on
qualifications and experience.

Formal applications should preferably be made by email, sending your CV,
together with a covering letter outlining your suitability for this
post, to recruitment at smru.co.uk or by post for the attention of Dr Beth
Mackey, SMRU Limited, 7 Woodburn Place, St Andrews, Fife  KY16 8LA.

CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS IS 3RD OCTOBER 2008.

SMRU Limited

7 Woodburn Place

St Andrews

Fife  KY16 8LA

Scotland

Tel: + 44 (0) 1334 479 100

Fax: + 44 (0) 1334 477 878

email: recruitment at smru.co.uk

www.smru.co.uk <http://www.smru.co.uk/>

P Please consider whether you really need a hard copy of this email
before printing it - thank you.

NOTICE OF CONFIDENTIALITY: This message, and any attachments, are
intended solely for the addressee and may contain privileged or
confidential information.  If you are not the intended recipient, any
disclosure, copying, distribution or action taken or omitted to be taken
in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you believe
that you have received this email in error, please contact the sender
immediately and destroy this email.  Although we have taken steps to
ensure that this email and any attachments are free from any virus, we
advise that, in keeping with good computing practice, the recipient
should ensure they are actually virus free.

SMRU LIMITED is a limited company registered in Scotland, Registered
Number: 296937.  Registered Office:  5 Atholl Crescent, Edinburgh  EH3
8EJ.