[MARMAM] When swordfish conservation biologists eat swordfish

Giovanni Bearzi giovanni.bearzi at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 10:46:47 PDT 2008

Dear list members

the editorial below is scheduled to appear in Conservation Biology.  While
it does not deal with cetaceans in particular, I would like to share it
ahead of print with the marine mammal science community to which I belong.

When swordfish conservation biologists eat swordfish
Conservation Biology, in press
http://www.tethys.org/download/pdf/Bearzi_ConsBiol_InPress.pdf (84 Kb)

(...)  As conservation biologists, we often expect others to
modify their behaviors or quit a job based on evidence
that it has negative impacts on the environment. Nevertheless,
we are rarely willing to change our own habits, even when
we are fully aware of the detrimental effects of our actions. (...)

Giovanni Bearzi, Ph.D.

President, Tethys Research Institute
Viale G.B Gadio 2, 20121 Milano, Italy

http://www.tethys.org/giovanni_bearzi.htm