[MARMAM] New Education Programs and Online Videos - WHALE TRACKERS

Christopher Johnson christophe.johnson at mac.com
Tue Oct 14 11:45:54 PDT 2008

Dear Marmam Readers,

I am pleased to announce two new educational media programs produced
by earthOCEAN.
We recently launched a new website dedicated to sharing stories of the
science of whales, dolphins and porpoises around the world and
highlight the people studying these animals in the wild – Whale
Trackers.

    	http://www.whaletrackers.com

The programs include -

1.) “The Search for the Desert Porpoise” -
           An online documentary film and behind the scenes blog from
the field documenting the Vaquita.

In October and November 2008, we follow international scientists on
expedition in the northern Gulf of California, Mexico in their search
to study the Vaquita – the desert porpoise.  We follow this unique
collaborative effort between the Instituto Nacional de Ecologia in
Ensenada, Mexico (INE) and NOAA Fisheries - Southwest Fisheries
Science Center in La Jolla, CA to implement long-term strategies to
help save this population of 150 animals from extinction.  We will
meet the people living and working in local communities while
discovering more about the planned conservation efforts for the region
by the Mexican government.

In early December, we will post a special 30 minute online documentary
program in English and Spanish with educational materials for
teachers. During the expedition, read the latest updates from the
field and watch behind the scenes videos. Today, we posted interviews
with research scientists Jonathan Gordon of the Sea Mammal Research
Unit in Scotland and Jay Barlow of NOAA Fisheries - Southwest
Fisheries Science Center.

	http://www.whaletrackers.com/blogs/expedition-vaquita/listening-for-vaquita.html

2.)  The five-part documentary film series “Whales of the
Mediterranean Sea” is now available with subtitles in 6 additional
languages.

"Whales of the Mediterranean Sea" highlights the latest research into
whales and dolphins as well as the heroic efforts to conserve them and
their habitat in the Mediterranean.

In addition to English, the films are now available with subtitles in
French, Spanish, Arabic, Italian, German and Greek. The project to
translate and implement the language versions was sponsored by WDCS -
the Whale and Dolphin Conservation Society, and OceanCare, with the
help of the other NGOs featured in the films including Oceana, Tethys
Research Institute, Alnitak, Pelagos Research Institute and WWF.
We welcome the efforts of schools, local communities, scientists and
NGOs interested in showing the videos to raise awareness about
cetaceans in the Mediterranean. Groups can link to, and use the multi-
lingual online materials or download high-resolution versions via
iTunes (e.g., for use in classrooms).

	http://www.whaletrackers.com/whales-mediterranean-sea/

cheers, Chris

CHRIS JOHNSON
Director - earthOCEAN media
	A production company uncovering stories of our natural world
	through exploration and education.
		www.earthOCEAN.tv

Filmmaker / Cinematographer - "Whale Trackers"
	A series exploring whales,dolphins and porpoises around the world.
		www.whaletrackers.com

Board of Directors - Filmmakers for Conservation
		www.filmmakersforconservation.org

email:  	christophe.johnson at mac.com
		chris.johnson at whaletrackers.com
		cj at earthocean.tv