[MARMAM] Request photos of nasal structures in killer whales

Uko Gorter uko.susan at verizon.net
Mon Mar 31 13:14:25 PDT 2008

Dear MARMAM-ers,

As part of an assignment for the Seattle Aquarium, I am currently
working on a detailed illustration of the anatomy of the nasal
structures in a killer whale (Orcinus orca).

I have searched numerous papers and publications (i.e. Google Scholar,
JSTOR).  However no clear photos were found.
One paper of help was: Mead, J. G. 1975. Anatomy of the external nasal
passages and facial complex in the Delphinidae (Mammalia: Cetacea).
Smithsonian Contributions to Zoology, 207: 1-72.

To make the illustration as accurate as possible, I am looking for
necropsy photos and/or scans of a killer whale's (Orcinus orca) head.
These can be transverse and/or sagittal cross-sections.  Basically, I
am interested in detailed images of the nasal passages, diverticula
(i.e. vestibular, nasofrontal or tubular, and premaxillary air sacs),
nasal plug muscle, phonic lips (MLDB complex) and melon in situ.

Photos or images will be for personal reference use only, and not made
public.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Huge, huge thanks,

Uko