[MARMAM] recent publication - sperm whale reactions to fixed-wing aircraft - PDF available

Mari Smultea msmultea at msn.com
Wed Mar 26 12:18:39 PDT 2008

Dear MarMam Subscribers,

The following recently published article is available....

Smultea, M.A., J.R. Mobley, Jr., D. Fertl, and G.L. Fulling. 2008. An
unusual reaction and other observations of sperm whales near fixed-wing
aircraft. Gulf and Caribbean Research 20:75-80.

The specific objectives of the paper are to report our visual observations
of sperm whale reactions to straight-line aircraft fly-bys (i.e., passes),
to report a unique observation of a recognized "stress behavioral reaction"
exhibited by sperm whales during an overhead circling by a small fixed-wing
aircraft, and to provide a summary review of published related studies. The
observations detailed were made off Hawaii, but with application to
conservation/management concerns in the Gulf of Mexico.

Please direct pdf or other related inquiries to me (Mari Smultea, senior
author) at:  <mailto:msmultea at msn.com> msmultea at msn.com

With regards,

Mari A. Smultea, M.Sc.

Marine & Terrestrial Wildlife Scientist