[MARMAM] Science vs Cost

toni font gmail tonifontg at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 06:20:08 PDT 2008

Dear william and others in the list

I would like to make a contribution to your request of 'better
communication', in an era of shrinkink funds and much needed reduction in
CO2 emissions caused by travel.
As you say, there is plenty of room to improve our capacity of communication
without spending the money in physical travel (that, of course will always
be desirable!)

Let me share an experience:
I have recently been involved in the organisation of a very specific Seminar
framed under Art and Science relationships (2007 year of the science).
The meeting was about fishes and marine life illustration and painting.
A limited number of people was attending the meeting due to its specificity
and venue limitations.
It was held in spanish or catalan plus simultaneous translation to english.
The organizers (General Direction for Research Innovation of the Balearic
Islands Local Government) decided to register all the conferences with a
dual digital camera video system, picking simultaneously both voice channels
and the video channels of speaker and the translator.
In fact, in a time of High definition videocameras recording not in tape but
in hard disks in compressed mode, today that means 'low cost video edition'
After some postproduction, the Seminar has been uploaded in the Internet and
can be seen by anyone interested.
http://seminaris.balearsfaciencia.org/seminari07/ponencias.htm
http://seminaris.balearsfaciencia.org/seminari07/1M2_Kent_Carpenter.htm
The site shows two screens with the speaker and the synchronized powerpoint.

Advantages?
Many people that has been unable to attend the Seminar had the opportunity
to comfortably 'attend' on demand speeches
Some attendants have revisited interesting passages of the conference of
some colleague. (Myself, too involved in the 'kitchen' of the Seminar to be
able of attending every speech have been able to revisit missed conferences)
Depending on the video compression you can pack up tp 10 hour of video in a
single dvd (to be played as divx in a computer or in a specific dvd plauer)
and ship it cheaply (or give to the attendants to bring home)

Shortages?
Of course it is not a bidirectional system, but allows longer lasting of the
message and experiences of a meeting...

toni font
environmental consultant
Producciones Organicas