[MARMAM] new paper on accidental entanglement of Mediterranean monk seals

a.karamanlidis@mom a.karamanlidis at mom.gr
Mon Jul 28 01:10:52 PDT 2008

Dear colleagues,

A new paper on the effects of accidental entanglement of Mediterranean monk seals was recently published online in Endangered Species Research.

ABSTRACT: The Mediterranean monk seal Monachus monachus is the most endangered seal in the world with <600 ind. currently surviving. The species faces a number of threats to its survival: accidental entanglement has been identified as one of the most important amongst them. Here we made the first attempt to systematically describe the nature of this threat and assess its impact on Mediterranean monk seal populations. We based our study on information from an extensive literature review, questionnaires carried out in various locations in Greece and necropsies performed in Greece and in the Madeira Islands, Portugal. Our results indicate that accidental entanglement has been, and still is, a major threat to the species in its main distribution area in the northeastern Mediterranean, and that this threat may increase throughout the seal's range. Accidental entanglement occurs mainly with fishing nets, and affects mostly sub-adult seals. Short-term conservation actions should include the identification of critical pupping sites and their protection through the establishment and enforcement of fishing regulations. A long-term course of action will require detailed knowledge of the causes of accidental entanglement of Mediterranean monk seals in fishing gear.

KEY WORDS: Endangered species · Mediterranean monk seal · Accidental entanglement · Conservation · Seal-fishery interactions · Greece · Madeira

You can send PDF requests to: a.karamanlidis at mom.gr

Thanks,

Alexandros A. Karamanlidis, PhD

MOm/Hellenic Society for the Study and Protection of the Monk seal

Solomou Str. 18

10682 Athens

GREECE

It has removed 2701 spam emails to date.