[MARMAM] Science vs Cost

William Rossiter rossiter at csiwhalesalive.org
Sun Jul 27 07:26:51 PDT 2008

The advancement of your science is being impeded by the increasing cost
of attending marine mammal-related conferences, workshops, and meetings.
An increasing number of professionals and students are unable to find or
justify the funds to attend. This should be of concern whether you are
one of the few who can attend or one of the many who cannot. You are all
missing out here.

The overall problem facing your profession is perhaps more apparent to
Cetacean Society International because we are one of the few sources for
travel funds available to scientists, particularly entry-level students.
A recent "helpful" post to MARMAM attracted worldwide requests from
everywhere between the Ukraine, the Phillipines, and Tierra del Fuego,
for at least five worthy events.

The problem is also apparent to CSI because we see the talent in the
emerging generation that you need to foster if your science is to
prosper...face it, many of you are getting "mature", and you know it
makes no sense to limit the next generation to those who can afford to
travel.

Does anyone on this list know enough about teleconferencing to work with
CSI to develop a way to enable people to participate in your events from
anywhere?

Does anyone on this list know of foundations or other primary funders
willing to use CSI, or any appropriate medium, to facilitate the
application of teleconferencing to future events?

The goal would be to enable organizers to provide significant benefits
to distant participants, at little or no cost to either. An additional
goal would be to allow events to benefit, for example, from plenary
presentations by eminent people who cannot travel, perhaps for health
reasons.

Without better communications your science will suffer. Solutions are
available, and I hope this stirs the pot enough to get something started.

Thank you,
Bill

William W. Rossiter
President