[MARMAM] new paper on song function in humpback whales

Josh Smith s4048598 at student.uq.edu.au
Thu Jul 24 17:53:32 PDT 2008

Dear colleagues,

The following paper has recently been published:

Smith, J. N., Goldizen, A. W., Dunlop, R. A. & Noad, M. J. 2008. Songs
of male humpback whales (Megaptera novaeangliae) are involved in
intersexual interactions. Animal Behaviour, 76, 467-477

ABSTRACT: Male humpback whales produce complex songs during the breeding
season, yet the singing behaviour of males and whether songs function in
male contests and/or through female choice are still poorly understood.
We investigated song function by obtaining simultaneous observations of
the positions and movements of singing and nonsinging whales in real
time during their migration off the east coast of Australia. We
collected movement data by acoustic tracking using a hydrophone array,
land-based visual tracking and observations from a small boat. Of the
114 singers analysed, 66 (58%) associated with conspecifics. Singers
were significantly more likely to join groups containing a motherecalf
pair than other groups. Males started to sing after joining groups only
if they consisted of a motherecalf pair not escorted by another male.
Singers also associated longer and sang for a significantly greater
proportion of time with motherecalf pairs than any other group type.
Associating with motherecalf pairs has been shown to be a reproductively
successful strategy for males. In contrast, whales that joined singers
were usually lone males; these associations were brief and singers
typically stopped singing in the presence of other males. This is the
highest reported incidence in humpback whales of males singing when
escorting females and supports an intersexual function of song in
humpback whales. We suggest that males joining singers are prospecting
for females rather than engaging in male social ordering and that
singing may incur the cost of
attracting competing males.

Pdf files of the paper are available from the Animal Behaviour website
for those subscribed or from j.smith at sib.uq.edu.au
<mailto:peterstevick at aol.com>

Cheers,
Josh Smith

Joshua Smith
School of Integrative Biology
University of Queensland
St Lucia, Qld 4072, Australia

Phone: (office) +61 7 3365 4825  Fax +61 7 3365 1655
Email <j.smith at sib.uq.edu.au>
Webpage: http://www.uq.edu.au/berg/josh
Behavioural Ecology Research Group:
Website: http://www.uq.edu.au/berg/