[MARMAM] MARMAM and the future: "Science 2.0 for marine mammalogy"

William Rossiter rossiter at csiwhalesalive.org
Sat Jul 5 06:43:39 PDT 2008

Cetacean Society International, an advocacy organization that needs and
uses the science communicated by MARMAM members, is always looking for
suggestions to enhance scientific communications in keeping with the
rapid evolution of web-based resources.

The European Cetacean Society is exploring ways to expand communications
between members for the advancement of science, led by inspired efforts
by the ECS web editor, Jan Willem Broekema, <jw at BROEKEMAWEB.NL> . Jan
recently posted the following announcement to ECS-Talk, ECS's general
discussion list. CSI hopes you find it useful.

Dear ECS members, friends, and other interested parties,

The present ECS website is already more than 15 years old. In the past
few years more and more members have asked for interactive features such
as discussion groups, document collaboration, chat and blog, courses.
Due to the technology used by the present website this has not been
possible.

Right now some friends and I are working on interactive web 2.0 based
technologies that:

    * enhances the sharing of knowledge,
    * quickens creativity and innovation in research,
    * distributes intermediate and final lab results,
    * improves research protocols,
    * promotes questions and answers,

all within the confines of marine mammal research. See Scientific
American for an overview of this new way of working
<http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=science-2-point-0>. This is an
independent service to the marine mammal research community, starting
with the ECS members, but outside of the ECS as a society.  Many of you
have already shown interest and none that I asked said No. Taking part
is free.

I have set up an interactive solution for ECS members to share their
science questions and successes within an existing science community.If
you want to share your results, co-operate on your protocols, your
questions, please

   1. go to *www.openwetware.org*
   2. *get yourself an account*, very simple
   3. get acquainted with the way in which a Wiki works - there are
      several tutorials
   4. *update your personal page*
   5. *create* and update *an institute page* (first draft), use the
      examples provided by openwetware
   6. go to the *GROUPS* and choose *European Cetacean Society*
      <http://openwetware.org/wiki/European_Cetacean_Society>
   7. go to your topic page and *add your *name, *institute, topics of
      research, questions*
   8. build on from there

Remember: this is not an edited site - YOU add, change, delete the
content. I, as web editor of the ECS, do not 'own' this site. *This
research is yours and everybody else's*. You create the content, the
value, the navigation, the pages and subpages. Once a few share their
research, say on anatomy or on observational techniques (transects),
more will follow.

Remember that the ECS was one of the first non-internet science groups
from Europe that went online (1992). This type of collaboration, which
we try to promote through our annual conferences, workshops and the ECS
network, is now supported by technology in a way that also new. Again we
could be at the forefront of collaboration, where we can share and
improve the research on marine mammals.

Jan Willem Broekema
(here not as ECS web editor but as ECS member)