[MARMAM] Need for information regarding practical use of carrying capacity estimations (ecological).

Lena Pettersson lenah2o at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 27 08:46:39 PST 2008

Need for information regarding practical use of carrying capacity estimations (ecological).

I am currently writing a master thesis with the preliminary title "Management tools to reduce direct environmental impact resulting from marine tourism. Case study: Con Dao, Vietnam". Within this topic I'm looking closer at the use of carrying capacity and also education (as an effecient way to increase the carrying capacity) as possible tools.

It seems that carrying capacity estimations are seldom used in practical management plans (when focusing on marine mammals and tourism activities e.g. whale/seal-safari). Even after feedback from guides /managers, I have a problem finding locations that use limit in nr as a successful management tool.

Is this the case? Or does anybody know of any marine reserve/MPA that actually incorporates cc estimations in their management plans, when conducting tourism activities focusing on marine mammals?

If you have any kind of information/comments etc. – all inputs are very much appreciated at this point.

Sincerely /Lena Pettersson
Lena Pettersson
Norwegian College of Fishery Science
International Fisheries Management