[MARMAM] Ruggedized laptop Review

Tom Norris thomas.f.norris at cox.net
Tue Jan 22 20:51:46 PST 2008

Hello MARMAMers:

I'm interested in getting feedback on your experiences with rugged-ized  and
semi-ruggedized laptops (e.g. Panasonic's toughbook, Amrel's Rocky Series,
Panther laptops etc.).  I'm sure there are lots of you who have used various
laptops in difficult field conditions. I am particularly interested in how
various laptops held up under field conditions such as working from
small-medium sized boats in exposed or semi-exposed conditions (e.g. under
canopy or on a flying bridge). Also important is how visible is the screen
in the sunlight during use at sea.

If you have had a good (or bad) experience with a particular model, I'd like
to hear from you. I will compile and post information on MARMAM for others
to use or comment on. I think this would be usefull information for our
community. There are several sites with reviews (which I will include in my
compilation of info), but none seem to be specific enough to evaluate these
computers for our type of use on the water.

Please reply directly to me and keep your info brief (although you can add
anecdotal information if important).

If possible, include the following information:

Make/Model/year of laptop

Was it a ruggedized model?

How long did it last?

Was it durable enough for field work?

How often was it used in the field? (e.g. how many times a month)

Was it exposed to vibrations or 'slapping' from use on a boat?

Was it exposed to fresh or salt water spray?

Was the screen easy to see in sunlight?

Was the pointing device easy to use?

How long was the battery life (if needed)?

Would you buy or recommend this computer again for fieldwork?

Additional comments/recommendations:

Thank you,

-Tom Norris

Bio-Waves Inc.