[MARMAM] IOA Underwater Noise 2008 conference

Peter Ward pxw at noc.soton.ac.uk
Fri Jan 18 07:09:09 PST 2008

>Dear all,
>Following a change in circumstances completely beyond our control we
>have had to change both the date and location of
>the Institute Of Acoustics Underwater
>Noise 2008 conference. This has allowed us to move the deadline for abstract
>submission to the 1st February 2008.
>
>Below is the revised Call for Papers for the
>conference. We look forward to seeing you there.
>
>Simon Richards
>Chair, Organising Committee
>+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>
>Thanks,
>Simon
>
>--
>Dr Simon Richards CSci CPhys FInstP FIOA FASA
>QinetiQ Fellow, Maritime Platforms & Equipment
>
>QinetiQ
>Building A22, Winfrith Technology Centre
>Winfrith Newburgh
>Dorchester, DT2 8XJ
>
>Tel: +44 (0)1305 212327
>Email:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Web: www.QinetiQ.com
>
>QinetiQ - The Global Defence and Security Experts.

Underwater Noise Measurement, Impact and Mitigation
14  15 October 2008
Novotel Hotel, Southampton, UK

The Institute of Acoustics is holding a
conference on underwater noise, its measurement,
impacts and mitigation. The meeting is organized
by the Underwater Acoustics Group of the IOA with the support of QinetiQ.
The marine environment is subject to both
natural, ambient noise and man-made noise from
sources such as shipping, offshore oil and gas
platforms, renewable energy generators, seismic
surveys, piling, sonar, fisheries and marine
aggregate extraction. Environmental impact
assessments for all of these activities require
an understanding of the radiated noise from the
activity and the background ambient noise,
together with the means to assess the impact of
the anthropogenic noise on receptors in the
marine environment and instigate appropriate mitigation measures.
This conference is intended to address all of the
issues from the methods used to characterize the
ambient and radiated noise fields quantitatively,
through to the means for assessing the impacts of
noise on marine fauna and steps required for
mitigation. The range of topics will therefore include:

         • Underwater noise measurement techniques
         • Noise modelling
         • Noise generation and coupling mechanisms
         • Propagation of underwater noise
         • Impact assessment methodologies
         • Hearing in marine species
         • Behavioural impacts
         • Physiological impacts
         • Impacts on other acoustic users
         • Mitigation methods
         • Mitigation technologies

Intended audience

         • Sonar developers / operators
         • Seismic survey industry
         • Marine construction industry
         • Marine renewables industry
         • Offshore industry
         • Underwater research community
         • Environmental researchers / consultants
         • Marine biologists

Abstract submission
Authors are invited to submit an extended
abstract of not more than 800 words via the
conference website: http://underwaternoise2008.lboro.ac.uk
Key dates
1 February 2008 Extended abstract deadline
22 February 2008 Notification of acceptance
18 April 2008 Manuscript submission deadline and registration for authors
11 July 2008 Final submission
14  15 October 2008 Conference dates

Peter D. Ward
QinetiQ Unit, Rm. 251/08
National Oceanography Centre, Southampton
University of Southampton, Waterfront Campus
Southampton SO14 3ZH, UK

E-Mail: Peter.Ward at noc.soton.ac.uk.
(http://www.noc.soton.ac.uk/OTHERS/QinetiQ)
Phone: +44 (0) 23 8059 6325
Fax  : +44 (0) 23 8059 6142

For those other than the recipient any disclosure, copying, distribution,
or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on such information is
prohibited and may be unlawful.