[MARMAM] American Cetacean Society/Puget Sound Chapter, 2008 GRANT

Uko Gorter uko.susan at verizon.net
Fri Jan 18 21:33:57 PST 2008

American Cetacean Society-Puget Sound Grants for 2008

Request for Research Proposals
The American Cetacean Society (ACS), the oldest whale and dolphin
conservation organization (est. 1967) protects whales, dolphins,
porpoises, and their habitats and ecosystems through public education,
research grants, and conservation actions. ACS has supported worthwhile
research projects in past years and continues to do so today.

The Puget Sound Chapter of ACS (ACS/PS) was re-established in the
summer of 1999 and has more than 70 members. Despite being a newer
chapter, we have already awarded one grant in 2000 and two grants in
2001, one in 2002, two in 2004, one in 2005, and two in 2007. This year
we are offering one (1) $1,000 grant to be restricted to research of
Southern Resident Killer Whales within the waters of Oregon, Washington
or British Columbia, Canada.

Eligibility
The individual conducting the research must submit the proposal, in
addition to a CV.  Project Managers or Principal Investigators will
oversee all fieldwork. Applicants must have obtained any necessary
permits or authorizations for conducting the proposed research prior to
any awards being disbursed.

This grant is available to undergraduate students currently enrolled in
a college or university and graduate students currently enrolled in, or
accepted to, a masters or doctorate program who meet the evaluation
criteria.  The research must be conducted within the waters of Oregon,
Washington State or British Columbia (Salish Sea). Researchers of any
nationality are eligible to apply.

Proposals will be accepted through 30 MARCH 2008, and letters of
acceptance or denial will be issued no later than 30 APRIL 2008.

Grant
The grant award will be available on 15 MAY 2008.

Funding for this year’s grant has been generously provided by the Whale
Watch Operators Association Northwest (WWOANW) and from the following
whale-watch operators: Prince of Whales, Springtide Charters, and San
Juan Safaris.

Guidelines
Please visit our website (www.acspugetsound.org) and click on “Research
Grants”, then “Proposal Guide” for a full description of the guidelines
for the research proposal and review process.
Expected Deliverables

There is no deadline for the completion of work; however, a brief
report describing the progress/status of the research should be
presented to ACS/PS no later than one (1) year after receipt of
funds. This report will be featured in a future issue of our chapter
newsletter, Whulj.  In addition, the Salish Sea grant recipient will be
invited to present a talk at one of our chapter meetings.
Contact Information

For submission of proposals or request for information, please contact:

American Cetacean Society - Puget Sound Chapter
P.O. Box 17136
Seattle, WA  98127
USA
E-mail:  acspsgrants at acspugetsound.org

Uko Gorter,ACS/PS chapter president
Stephanie Norman DVM, ACS/PS Grants chair