[MARMAM] new online series about cetaceans

Chris Johnson cj at earthocean.tv
Thu Jan 17 16:07:50 PST 2008

Hi all,

We are pleased to announce a new series of online educational
documentary programs on earthOCEAN.tv

	"Cetacean Investigation" - A series uncovering the science of
whales, dolphins and porpoises around the world.

All videos programs are 10-20 minutes in duration and are freely
distributed online in a number of formats with teacher's guides and
fact sheets via our internet channel including through iTunes.

Our latest program is entitled - "Disappearing Dolphins". Here is the
synopsis.

"Common dolphins were once abundant throughout the Mediterranean Sea.
Today they are declining rapidly, surviving only in portions of their
former range. In western Greece, the sea around the island of Kalamos
is their last stronghold, or at least it used to be. So why are the
dolphins disappearing?

We interview Giovanni Bearzi, the President of the Tethys Research
Institute in Italy, and a Pew Fellow in Marine Conservation. Giovanni
has been studying coastal dolphins in the Eastern Mediterranean Sea
for two decades. What began as a study on the ecology and behavior of
common dolphins around Kalamos, became a systematic record of their
demise.

Only 30 kilometers away from Kalamos is the Amvrakikos Gulf where
coastal bottlenose dolphins are thriving. Why is there such a drastic
difference in the health of these two dolphin populations?

We meet two local fishermen and discuss their relationship with
dolphins and the state of sea around their community. Could what is
happening to the common dolphins of Kalamos, also explain why they
are disappearing throughout the Mediterranean Sea?"

	Video - http://www.earthocean.tv/whalesmed_part4.html

Visit www.earthocean.tv for more information and to view previous
documentaries.   Any comments or interest in taking part in future
programs, feel free to contact me at - cj at earthocean.tv

Cheers, Chris

Chris Johnson
Filmmaker / Photographer
earthOCEAN
95 Nelson Rd. South Melbourne, Victoria 3205 AUSTRALIA

website: www.earthOCEAN.tv
email: 	 cj at earthocean.tv
cell: 	 +61 449 188 770 (australia)
landline: +61-3-9917-2251 (australia)

earthOCEAN produce documentary film and educational content for
online distribution and for television. We develop partnerships with
and highlight the efforts of, international and local NGOs,
conservationists and scientists around the world in order to raise
awareness about environmental issues to ultimately inspire change.