[MARMAM] court decision on sonar mitigation

Jasny, Michael mjasny at nrdc.org
Mon Jan 7 14:07:58 PST 2008

Dear All:

Last Thursday, a federal court in California issued an order, to the
U.S. Navy, requiring additional mitigation for mid-frequency sonar
exercises off southern California.

This ruling comes in response to a charge from the Court of Appeals last
November, to prescribe mitigation that safeguards the environment while
allowing the Navy to train.  Among other things, the Navy is required to
exclude sonar use from certain high-density marine mammal habitat;
expand its shut-down zone; power down during surface ducting conditions;
and employ additional monitoring measures.

It is expected that the Navy will appeal.  Please let me know if you'd
like a copy of the decision.

Cheers,

Michael

Michael Jasny

Senior Policy Analyst

Natural Resources Defense Council

4479 W. 5th Avenue

Vancouver, BC  V6R1S4

tel. 604-736-9386

fax 310-434-2399

mjasny at nrdc.org

PRIVILEGE AND CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law as
attorney-client and work-product confidential or otherwise confidential
communications. If the reader of this message is not the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution,
or copying of this communication or other use of a transmission received
in error is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission
in error, immediately notify me at the above telephone number.