[MARMAM] Whale-Seabird interactions: whales ingesting seabirds

sjcrock at shaw.ca sjcrock at shaw.ca
Mon Dec 22 08:22:40 PST 2008

Hi Trevor,
I expect for humpbacks you are more likely to find seabird remains in stomach contents rather than fecal samples, but that's a guess. However, I just wanted to point out that if you or anyone out there retrieves a humpback stomach with something they think might be bird bone, it would be a relatively quick and easy job for me to ID those for sure. I have been doing pinniped stomach and scat analysis for more than 15 years now and also do archaeological bone ID from coastal sites (fish, bird and mammal). Occasionally, I encounter sea bird (and also other sea mammal remains) in scats from Steller sea lions, which I always ID when I can. Often, there are only bits of vertebrae or foot bones left, but I can still use those for ID. It takes very little time for a few bones like this and is thus quite low cost, so it is probably worth checking out if you've got samples that are suspect.

Best regards,
Susan

Susan Crockford, Ph.D. (Zoology/Evolutionary Biology/Archaeozoology)
Pacific Identifications Inc.,
6011 Oldfield Rd., Victoria, B.C.  V9E 2J4
(250) 721-7296  fax (250) 721-6215
sjcrock at shaw.ca  www.pacificid.com

Adjunct Professor (Anthropology & Faculty of Graduate Studies)
University of Victoria, B.C.
scrock at uvic.ca
book website www.rhythmsoflife.ca