[MARMAM] Impact of channel dredging on marine mammals: request for literature

Marc Oremus m.oremus at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Dec 2 13:28:48 PST 2008

Dear colleagues,

A large factory for nickel processing is under construction in New
Caledonia. This project involves the creation of a wharf and the
dredging of a channel in the lagoon to allow for the transit of large
ships. Two barges are used to dredge the channel; one works by suction
of loose sediments and one uses a large mechanical digger. We are
currently assessing the status of marine mammal (dolphins and dugongs
mainly) and turtle populations in the area in order to detect any impact
related to the building of the factory.

We are looking for any reports and articles dealing with the potential
disturbances resulting from these kinds of human activities (noise
disturbance, boat traffic, increased turbidity...) and we would greatly
appreciate the help of the list members with this. Please contact me by
email (m.oremus at auckland.ac.nz) if you are aware of any previous work
that could be of help.

Many thanks in advance

Marc