[MARMAM] Statistical modelling workshop, Univ. of St. Andrews Scotland 20-23 January 2009

Eric Rexstad ericr at mcs.st-and.ac.uk
Tue Dec 2 06:37:35 PST 2008

The Centre for Research into Ecological and Environmental Modelling
(CREEM) is hosting a *Statistical Modelling* workshop 20-23 January 2009
in our purpose-built facilities at the University of St Andrews,
Scotland.   The aim of this workshop is to train participants in
regression modelling methods, including Generalised Linear Models (GLMs).

The 4-day workshop is set at an introductory level, and will cover the
basics of statistical modelling including:

·        parameter estimation, confidence intervals, hypothesis tests,
/t/-tests, ANOVA

·        linear models, generalized least squares models (to fit models
which allow non-independence and/or non-constant error variance)

·        Generalised Linear Models for presence/absence data or
proportions: model specification, selection, diagnostics, interpretation

·        GLMs for count data: model specification, selection,
diagnostics, interpretation

·        Overdispersed GLM models will also be covered.

The workshop will be taught using a marine mammal case study and
workshop practicals will be based on an impact assessment example.
Participants will learn to use the R software package, and no previous
experience is necessary.

Computer sessions take place in our modern computer classroom (attached
to the seminar room); participants can use our computers or bring their
own laptop computers.

For further information or registration, please contact Dr. Monique
Mackenzie (monique at mcs.st-andrews.ac.uk
<mailto:monique at mcs.st-andrews.ac.uk>) or Rhona Rodger
(rhona at mcs.st-and.ac.uk <mailto:rhona at mcs.st-and.ac.uk>).

--
Eric Rexstad
Research Unit for Wildlife Population Assessment