[MARMAM] Information about a White Blue whale

Greg Meyer greg_meyer at csumb.edu
Tue Aug 26 11:58:32 PDT 2008

Hello Andrea,

Over the past twenty years of watching cetaceans at sea, I have seen a
number of lightly pigmented animals but none that were truly albinistic.  I
have seen blue whales that were 'light blue' like your photos show, in Baja,
central California and the Galapagos.  Whether these individuals are simply
atypically pigmented or leucistic, it seems that this color pattern is not
uncommon in Blue whales.

Greg Meyer, M.A.

Outdoor Education and Recreation Program

California State University Monterey Bay

  _____