[MARMAM] International Marine Conservation Congress

Sarah Wilson swilson at ocean-institute.org
Sat Aug 16 12:30:51 PDT 2008

Hello MarMam,

The Marine Section of the Society for Conservation Biology will be
accepting applications for travel reimbursements to cover the cost of
attending the International Marine Conservation Congress
(www.conbio.org/IMCC). To encourage international and student
participation, priority will be given to participants from developing
countries and students. Information can be found at:
http://www2.cedarcrest.edu/imcc/travel_award.html
Please note that poster/paper/symposia/workshop acceptance is also a
criterion for being awarded travel reimbursement.

The Travel Award Committee will notify applicants by 15 December 2008.
Registration for the meeting opens 15 November 2008, with an early
registration deadline of 15 February 2009. If you are selected to
receive reimbursement for travel to the meeting, you must confirm your
intent to attend the meeting by registering for the meeting by 15
January 2009. The only exception is if you have been asked to submit a
1500 word submission for an oral presentation; in those cases we will
extend your deadline until 1 February 2009.  Otherwise, if you do not
register by January 15 we will reallocate your travel stipend to the
next person in our list. If you do not register by January 15 we will
reallocate your travel stipend to the next person in our list.

Please also note that the 1st Call for oral presentations, speed
presentations, and posters is 1 September - 15 October 2008.

________________________________

The International Marine Conservation Congress (IMCC) will be the first
stand-alone meeting of the Marine Section of the Society for
Conservation Biology and will be held from 20-24 May 2009 at George
Mason University near Washington D.C. This will be an interdisciplinary
meeting that will engage natural and social scientists, managers,
policy-makers, and the public. The goal of the IMCC is to put
conservation science into practice through public and media outreach and
the development concrete products that will be used to drive policy
change and implementation. This meeting will encompass the 2nd
International Marine Protected Areas Congress.

Major themes and cross-cutting issues that will be addressed include:

Major Themes:
Global Climate Change
The Land-Sea Interface
Ecosystem-based Management
Poverty and Globalization

Cross-cutting issues encompass topics of global relevance and importance
to marine conservation that relate to the major themes.

Marine Protected Areas
Education, Outreach and Capacity Building
Governance Arrangements
Fisheries and Aquaculture
Economics

Sincerely,

Sarah Wilson
IMCC Education and Outreach Chair and Communications Committee Member
 and
Web Coordinator
Thank You Ocean Campaign
National Marine Sanctuaries Foundation