[MARMAM] Great Sighting of Sperm whales in the water of Tuscan Archipelago

davide bedocchi micans3 at yahoo.it
Mon Aug 18 07:19:50 PDT 2008

Sender:     Davide Bedocchi,     CE.TU.S. Cetacean Research Centre in Viareggio Italy
Email address:      cetus at supereva.it     or    bedocchid at yahoo.it
Subject Heading:   Great Sighting of Sperm whales in the water of Tuscan Archipelago

Text:

Dear Colleagues,

August 14, 2008.  3:00 PM.

Wonderful sighting of a Sperm whales group (Physeter catodon) during "Discovering our sea" eco-touristic cruises for youngs organized by Lucca District and Cassa di Risparmio di Lucca Foundation.
On board of KRILL Research Catamaran of CE.TU.S. Cetacean Research Centre in Viareggio, for the first time after several years of researches, we sighted, filmed and took pictures of 5 Sperm whales in the water of the Tuscan Archipelago. 21 miles from Elba Island, the Sperm whales swam in closed formation with 20 Striped dolphins (Stenella coeruleoalba).
This important sighting shows that in the tuscan waters, where the Tuscan Observatory of Cetaceans (Tuscan Region Administration's structure with H.Q. in Capoliveri and Viareggio) is working , besides fin whales, bottlenose dolphins, striped dolphins, Risso's dolphins, also sperm whales are present. To confirm the sperm whales presence in this area, we can also remember the stranding of a young sperm whale dated June 02, 2008 along the coastline of Piombino in addition of  many informations reported during this year from tuscan fishermen.
This summer, during the previous cruises, CE.TU.S. sighted 6 finwhales, over 200 striped dolphins and 30 bottlenose dolphins.
For further informations pls don't hesitate to contact us.
Best and Kind Regards
Dott. Davide Bedocchi - Naturalist
Didactic Director CE.TU.S.
CE.TU.S. Rapresentative at Tuscan Region Administration - Tuscan Observatory of Cetaceans
CE.TU.S. - Cetacean Research Centre
Via Degli Ontani 60, 55049 Viareggio (LU) Italy

e-mail: bedocchid at yahoo.it    ;    cetus at supereva.it
Mobile: +39 3287524380
www.cetusresearch.org

      Posta, news, sport, oroscopo: tutto in una sola pagina.
Crea l'home page che piace a te!
www.yahoo.it/latuapagina