[MARMAM] RESEARCH ASSISTANT NEEDED FOR FIELD WORK IN NORTHWEST AFRICA
ana_pinela at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 21 09:21:22 PDT 2008
RESEARCH ASSISTANT NEEDED FOR FIELD WORK IN NORTHWEST AFRICA
I am recruiting one research assistant for a period of approximately three weeks (May and beginning of June) to conduct cetacean research in Mauritania, which is located in Northwest Africa bordering the Sahara desert. The works consists of patrolling the whole Mauritanian coast, from the Parc National du Banc d’Arguin to the border with Senegal, in a 4-wheel drive and collect as much data and biological material as possible.
DUTIES of the research assistant:
- be prepared to work long hours under the sun and for consecutive days;
- assist with dissections if stranded animals are found;
- assist in the collection of all kinds of biological material;
- assist with Morphometric analysis of delphinid skulls;
- collect plankton and fish samples;
- participate in the laboratory activities.
- Background in biology, marine and environmental sciences or a related field;
- Speak French is a plus (not essential) and a second language, such as Portuguese, Spanish or English;
- Preferably have previous field experience (not mandatory)
- Be prepared to live and work in a very simple manner, as Mauritania is a country with few resources and considered to be quite poor.
There is NO COMPENSATION for this work as it is entirely a VOLUNTEER position. The successful research assistant will be responsible for its own transportation to Nouakchott and living expenses (approx. 10-15 €/day) during the time of the volunteering.
This research position is ideal for people who want to gain some hands-on experience in the field of cetacean research and that might even want to pursue a future career in this field of expertise. This person should also like to travel and get to know other cultures.
TO APPLY: send an e-mail to one of the following addresses: anapinela at ub.edu or ana.pinela at gmail.com and attach a copy of your CV and a motivation letter briefly explaining why you’re interested in this volunteer position.
Details related to the field work will be passed on to the successful candidate on plane fairs, accommodation, live style and costs, etc., as well as information on cetaceans that inhabit Mauritanian waters (bibliographic material).
To those of you, who read until the end THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST!
Universitat de Barcelona
Facultat de Biologia
Dept. Biologia Animal (Vertebrados)
Av. Diagonal 645, 1st floor
Tel: +34 93 402 1453
Fax: +34 93 403 5740
Confira vídeos com notícias do NY Times, gols direto do Lance, videocassetadas e muito mais no MSN Video!
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the MARMAM