[MARMAM] One PhD position in Evolutionary Genetics

Per J Palsboll Per.Palsboll at gmt.su.se
Tue Apr 15 04:45:16 PDT 2008

*One PhD position in Evolutionary Genetics (dnr 11/08)*

at the Department of Genetics, Microbiology and Toxicology (GMT),
Stockholm University.

Research area: We are looking for a doctoral student who is broadly
interested in evolutionary genetics of animals, ranging from
population/conservation genetics to aspects of molecular evolution
relevant to our understanding of animal evolution. The main focus of our
research group is the use of evolutionary genetics, mainly below the
species level, to understand ecological, evolutionary and population
processes in marine mammals. Please refer to our web-site (Research
Groups: Per Palsböll at www.gmt.su.se <http://www.gmt.su.se>) for more
details on our research and publications.

The doctoral candidate will be educated in evolutionary/population
genetics of natural animal populations and supervised by Prof. Per
Palsböll, and Dr. Martine Bérubé.

Qualifications: A highly motivated person with a strong background in
animal evolutionary genetics and practical laboratory experience (PCR,
DNA sequencing etc.). Proficiency in English as well as quantitative and
programming skills is of additional and considerable merit. The position
is open to all nationalities.

Application: The application has to include your curriculum vitae, a
copy of your University grades, one copy of your main undergraduate
thesis work, names and address/contact details of two referees, in
addition to other documents that you feel is important to your
application. A summary of your motivation and suitability for this PhD
programme should be included as well along with a proposal for a
possible doctoral project that will fit in the ongoing research of our
laboratory.

Terms of employment: The research education is a 48 months paid
position. The position is financed by a fellowship for the first years,
and subsequently as a regular doctoral position for the remainder of the
PhD-program.

Stockholm University, which is located in the capital of Sweden, has a
very strong research environment in evolutionary biology and excellent
facilities as well as a stimulating scientific atmosphere. There are
many research groups working on evolutionary questions in the
Departments of Zoology and Botany as well as at the nearby Museum of
Natural History and the Technical University.

For further details, please contact Per Palsböll
(Per.Palsboll at gmt.su.se), telephone: +46 (0)8161998.

The closing date (postmark) for applications is May 2nd 2008. Please
quote reference number dnr 11/08.

Completed applications should be sent by regular mail (not e-mail) to:

Anette Storbacka

PhD position in Evolutionary Genetics (dnr 11/08)
Department of Genetics, Microbiology and Toxicology
Stockholms Universitet, Svante Arrhenius väg 16, 106 91 STOCKHOLM

Union representatives at Stockholm University are Bo Ekengren, SACO,
tel: +46 (0)8162661, Lisbeth Häggberg, ST, tel: +46(0)8164017, and
Gunnar Stenberg, SEKO, tel: +46(0)703164341.

--
Per J. Palsbøll, Professor
Department of Genetics, Microbiology and Toxicology

Visiting address: Svante Arrheniusväg 16, Room E545
Office phone: +46 (0)8 16 1998
Mobile phone: +46 (0)73 5182364