[MARMAM] summer opportunity

Cristiane Cavalcante de Albuquerque Martins crislua_2000 at yahoo.com.br
Sun Apr 13 15:39:45 PDT 2008

We are looking for 3 student to help with cetacean  data collection from a land based station
at the Saint Lawrence estuary, Quebec (Canada). The study is part of the PhD of
a student from the Complex System Laboratory (Montreal University). We will focus effort to measure movement patterns of fin, blue, and humpback whales.

Admission Conditions
- Be a student in Biology, Geographyor Ecology;
- Be interested in the knowledge ofcetacean behavior.
- Be patient, attentive, and hardworking is essential.
- Previous experience with
theodolite tracking and /or ArcGIS is a plus appreciable.

Stage Duration
The activities will take place during summer months;from June 2 to August 29. Field work will take place 5 days a week (8 hours aday) followed by two days off. Planning of field work will be adjusted tometeorological conditions.

Compensation
We will organize a trip to Bergeronnes andback to Montreal at the beginning and at the end of season.
$10 CAD/hr for a total of 420 hours.
Lodging will be your responsibility (~350 CAD/ month).

Interested students
should send a motivation letter, a CV and a scholar record to (albuquerquecris at gmail.com) beforeApril 20 2008.

Cristiane C. de Albuquerque Martins

Candidat au doctorat/Ph.D. candidate