[MARMAM] Position opening: Harbour Seal Nurse

Phocid at aol.com Phocid at aol.com
Mon Nov 5 20:02:39 PST 2007

     Position opening: Harbour Seal Nurse

     Island Wildlife Natural Care Centre is a nonprofit society dedicated to
the rescue and rehabilitation of regional wildlife, with an emphasis on
Harbour Seals and avian species. We are seeking a candidate for the full time
position of Harbour Seal Nurse.

     IWNCC is located in the Pacific Northwest, on Salt Spring Island, in the
Canadian Gulf Islands. We are a small but very busy centre, situated in an
outdoor setting on a forested 4-acre property. We treat about 500 avian and
terrestrial animals per year and rescue and rehabilitate an average of 90-120
Harbour Seal pups each summer. Seasonal work hours are long and the work is
fast-paced and physically demanding.

     The position reports to the Director of Animal Care and will participate
in coordinating rescues; hands-on daily animal husbandry and critical care;
the leadership, training, supervision and scheduling of interns and volunteers;
maintaining the day-to-day running of the seal clinic such as procuring and
managing inventory of supplies, equipment and medications, keeping accurate
detailed records and liaising with industry professionals.

     This position starts May 2007. The successful candidate must have a
minimum of 5 years hands-on marine mammal rehabilitation experience at a senior
level. She/he must be experienced in examinations, diagnosis and treatment plus
have proven supervisory and communications skills and be physically fit.

     Salary and benefits are negotiable and commensurate with experience.
IWNCC will facilitate required work permits however priority will be given to
qualified Canadian applicants.

     Please send your CV & references to Jackie Ballerone, Island Wildlife
Natural Care Centre, 322 Langs Road, Salt Spring Island, BC V8K 1N3 Canada.

     Or email iwncc at aol.com

     For more information regarding Island Wildlife visit our website at
www.sealrescue.org