[MARMAM] Tursiops/Stenella divergence

Vincent Bourret vbourret2001 at yahoo.fr
Wed May 23 04:59:38 PDT 2007

Dear Marmam readers,

 We have sequenced some microsatellite markers in the striped dolphin (Stenella coeruleoalba) and we are comparing these sequences to their orthologous counterparts in the bottlenose dolphin (Tursiops truncatus) from which the microsatellites were originally isolated.
 To discuss this comparison, we would wish to know about the divergence time between both species.
 So far, the only indication we have is that the Family Delphinidae likely arose in the mid- to late Miocene (11-12 mya, Barnes 1990), suggesting a divergence time inferior to 12 My between S. coeruleoalba and T. truncatus.
 Would anyone have a more accurate / updated information (and the corresponding reference)?
 Thank you very much in advance.

 Best regards,

 Vincent.

  -----
 Vincent Bourret, DVM
 UMR 5174 Evolution et Diversité Biologique
 Bât 4R3b2
 Université Paul Sabatier,
 118, route de Narbonne,
 31062 Toulouse cedex, France.