[MARMAM] Atypical association

Jeremy KISZKA jeremy.kiszka at wanadoo.fr
Wed May 16 05:20:12 PDT 2007

Sorry for cross-posting!

Dear all

We observed an atypical inter-specific association in the Comoros archipelago, in the Mozambique Channel (south-west Indian Ocean), of an adult female Indo-Pacific humpback dolphin (coastal species) and a spinner dolphin calf (mostly oceanic in this area). Both individuals are generally associated with other humpack dolphins. According to local dolphin watching operators, this association is observed for at least six months (the animal was newborn). First observations reported a probable hybrid (with a Tursiops, already observed in this area), but there are evidences that the calf is definitely a spinner.

I would ask if similar cases have been observed in cetaceans and even in other mammals such as primates.

Many thanks,

Jeremy
jeremy.kiszka at wanadoo.fr

Jeremy KISZKA (MSc, PhD cand.)
CRELA (Centre de Recherche sur les Ecosystèmes Littoraux Anthropisés).
UMR 6217 CNRS-IFREMER-Université de la Rochelle
Avenue Michel Crépeau, 17071, La Rochelle, France.
&
Direction de l'Environnement et Développement Durable,
Collectivité Départementale de Mayotte,
BP 101, 97600 Mamoudzou, Mayotte.
Tel. (bureau): (+261)02.69.64.99.17
GSM: 06.39.69.53.53