[MARMAM] Body mass, length, and fluke span data for cetaceans

B Garcia Carreras B.Garcia-Carreras at bath.ac.uk
Fri Mar 16 10:01:04 PDT 2007

Dear MARMAM readers,

I am a postgraduate student doing a project on baleen whale
biomechanics. As part of the project, I am studying the morphological
differences between mysticete and odontocete cetaceans. I am missing
data in the overlapping range (mysticetes smaller than a minke whale,
and odontocetes larger than killer whales), and would appreciate if
anyone could tell me where I could find more information on these
species. I would be particularly interested in body mass and length, and
fluke span data for specific individuals. Thank you very much in advance.

Best regards,

Bernardo

P.S.: Information has so far been found in: Lockyer (1976), Lockyer &
Waters (1986), Vikingsson et al. (1988), Bose et al. (1990), Vikingsson
(1990, 1995, unpublished), Tolley et al. (1995), Rohr et al. (1998),
Fish & Rohr (1999), Palacios (1999), Zylber et al. (2002),  Palacios et
al. (2004), Sanvicente-Anorve et al. (2004). I can provide a full list
of references upon request.