[MARMAM] New England Marine Animal Rehabilitation Internships

Shannon Prendiville SPrendiville at une.edu
Tue Mar 13 13:19:50 PDT 2007

University of New England, Marine Animal Rehabilitation Center
Rehabilitation Internships

The University of New England's Marine Animal Rehabilitation Center  is currently accepting applications for our summer Marine Animal Rehabilitation Internship Program.  We are looking for highly motivated, dynamic candidates who will work closely in a team setting with staff and volunteers to assist with all aspects of veterinary care and husbandry of sick and injured seals, cetaceans and/or sea turtles.  Other responsibilities include but are not limited to: Daily care of animals, transport and/or field response to live/dead marine animals, water quality testing, maintenance of daily food and medical records, necropsy, education/docent tours and computer entry of data.

These positions are unpaid and interns are required to find their own housing and transportation.  Interns should expect to be scheduled to cover weekday shifts, as well as nights, weekends and holidays.  The ideal candidate should be mature and motivated, and possess a strong work ethic and excellent observational and communication skills.

For general information on the facility, please refer to our website http://www.une.edu/cas/msc/rehab.asp

Application requirements:
-College Sophomore, Junior or Senior
-Minimum GPA 2.5
-Transcript (unofficial copy acceptable)
-Two Letters of Recommendation
-Proposal, including cover letter (Times New Roman, Size 10, 1.5 Spacing)

Proposal Should Include:
-Qualities that you will contribute to our program
-Your goals and objectives in participating in our program
-Three or Four Project Proposals, which will be discussed with staff upon entry into the program**

**Successful completion of internship includes presentation of project at the end of internship term.

Application Deadline:    April 15, 2007 (Summer term May 15- September 15)*

*Internship dates are flexible around school schedules and can be discussed upon acceptance to program.

Submit applications/ inquiries to:

Anne Watson
Volunteer/Internship Coordinator
Marine Animal Rehabilitation Center
University of New England
11 Hills Beach Road
Biddeford, Maine  04005
awatson at une.edu

Review of Applications will begin April 15, 2007.  Qualified applicants may be contacted for a phone interview the week of April 30, 2007.

Thanks,

Shannon Prendiville
Animal Care Technician
University of New England