[MARMAM] Advice needed for preserving porous Ziphius cavirostris skeleton for display.

Emily Joseph e.joseph at mom.gr
Thu Mar 8 04:18:51 PST 2007

Dear forum,

My name is Emily Joseph, and I am a biologist for the Hellenic Society for the Study and Protection of the Monk Seal (MOm). We have a Ziphius cavirostris skeleton that we would like to assemble for our information center in Alonnisos, Greece. The bones are degreased, but we need advice on the best means of preserving them for (indoor) display.

I have performed an internet search and have come across advice on cleaning agents--but little on preservation techniques.

My main querry concerns sealants--what are the best agents/methods for preserving such porous bones.

We would greatly appreciate any advice you could lend.

Thank you very much for your time.

Best regards,
Emily Joseph
e.joseph at mom.gr