[MARMAM] PDA/Tablet data collection feedback request

ALIGON at aol.com ALIGON at aol.com
Tue Jun 12 11:55:11 PDT 2007

Hi, I am interested in feedback from anyone who is working with or has
researched the use of PDAs or touch-screen tablets to assist with data  collection.

My primary interest is to use a touch-screen tablet aboard a marine vessel
to collect sighting data (various marine life and vessels) and poll devices
such  as GPS, Depthsounder, and possibly LASER rangefinder, and/or RADAR
data/screen capture (for nearby vessel locations).

I am also interested in using either PDA or small tablet (linked to GPS)  for
shoreline surveys and possibly in-water data-collection.

If anyone can provide:

- product suggestions/recommendations
- software used
- suggestions on device interface methods (Tablet/PDA w/ imbedded GPS,
blue-tooth connections, other?)

- advice on implementation experience/obstacles

- any other resources, contacts, literature and suggestions

these would be greatly appreciated.

I also have not been able to find an underwater housing for a PDA with  a
depth rating of greater than 15ft. Any suggestions for dive-rated PDA housing
rated to ~ 60ft would be also be appreciated.

Please do not write to listserv, contact me directly at
_aligon at kirc.hawaii.gov_ (mailto:aligon at kirc.hawaii.gov) . If I receive a  number of responses, I
will be glad to submit a summary back to the list.

Many thanks,

Allan Ligon
_aligon at kirc.hawaii.gov_ (mailto:aligon at kirc.hawaii.gov)